I just completed a reading about learning styles and learning strategies, and it made me think of the movie The Wizard of Oz, when Dorothy, the Tin Man and Scarecrow are talking about the Eerie Forest... but enough about my childhood LOL
Here's my view and interpretation of what I've learned on these topics. Learning styles are personal, may or may not be shared by others around me, and help me cope in learning situations.
However, not all people who share the same learning style will adopt the same learning strategy in a given situation. That's because we have a tendency to adopt the learning strategy that best suits our learning style, motivation, desired outcome, and so on.
So what is a learning strategy?
I can best identify this as the group of tools we implement in a learning situation.
Let's say I want to assemble a piece of flat-pack furniture. Because of my Multimodal learning style, I'll probably take the pieces from the box and examine them, then maybe see if I can lay them out in an arrangement that will let me put them together. If this fails, I'll likely move on to checking the instructions and follow the step-by-step. I'll probably also adapt my learning from the first couple of steps in the instructions into instrumental learning. I'll try any universal assembly techniques that I've identified and see if they apply to assembling the rest of the furniture. If I succeed, the instructions will probably be ignored until I hit a snag or successfully finish putting the furniture together. If I really can't figure it out, I might invite a friend who has put this together before to show me how they did it, and learn by observing. Or, if they can't come over, I'll ask them to talk me through it over the phone.
One thing is for sure, I will put the furniture together... because I'm also a tenacious learner. I don't quit just because I don't 'get it'. I keep going and going, like the Energizer bunny, because I know that eventually the light WILL go on.
So, as a teacher, what can I do about the varied learning styles in the classroom? Should I do anything about it? What if, instead of adapting multiple, varied classroom delivery units and teaching strategies, I simply focus on the learning strategies shared by the 5 learning styles, and deliver material that incorporates common learning strategies rather than multiple learning styles? (Told you the light would go on eventually LOL).
Maybe I can't always do this, but if I use my needs assessments, and formative and summative evaluations properly I should be able to improve my success rate, shouldn't I? It will definitely help to improve my student's success rate, and that's what it's all about for me.
Cheers
p.s. If you haven't already done so, you should complete the V.A.R.K. questionnaire, located here. This truly helped me to understand so much about how I learn... things that were intuitive to me before, but that I am now conscious of. *News Flash* - I am a Multimodal Learner, just like 60% of the general population!
Bill, you made a great comment here about the difference between styles and strategies, and mentioned that you might choose any number of strategies, regardless of your dominant style, for a given situation. I don't think that's just a result of being multi-modal, either. I think it's the sign of being an effective learner, because you can mix and match as the situation warrants and as you yourself gauge the effectiveness of your attempts (see furniture assembly!).
ReplyDeleteIt occurs to me that, in this class, we're all reasonably well-educated, and working in our dominant language. I wonder what learning styles look like for people who have lower levels of literacy or for people who come from non-literate backgrounds altogether. And I wonder what learning styles look like when our learner are used to a different script direction, or graphic symbols instead of words.
Perhaps the main lesson in learning styles is the concept of diversity ... we can't assume that because WE learn a certain way that others do too.
- Margerit
Hey Bill!
ReplyDeleteIf that flat-pack furniture is a hug machine, I know how to build it!
Tonight is my 'Read-Other-Blogs' night - and I am so glad I've taken the time to read yours, Bill. Great insights and with other classmates' thoughts as well, I feel alot better about the last two modules. Very very helpful! Thanks.
ReplyDelete-Chris
@M. I spend a lot of time in my classroom observing my students - a sort of indirect formative evaluative process - to try and gauge the learning strategies they are using, and figure out their learning style from there. If they predominantly look at the computer monitor/projector screen, then I assume Visual, etc.
ReplyDeleteI believe that I have an advantage as a multimodal learner over others who are single/dual modal. Because of the adaptability of strategies, I don't believe I impose any dominant style of learning in my instruction. I prefer to offer a salad bar of choices, and let the learners pick and choose what best fits them.
@Chris. Thanks for the great comments. You are such a positive person yourself, and you inspire through your thoughtfulness. Thank you.
ReplyDelete@J. Ah, but can you teach me how to build it?
ReplyDelete