There is an interesting Wiki located here with a discussion on emerging theories of adult learning. After reading this, there seems to be some controversy raised regarding the division between Andragogy and Pedagogy.
The authors suggest that the separation exists within the manner in which learning styles are applied, not in the learning styles themselves. The newest(?) theories proposed by the authors include four approaches:
Action Learning: working on a real project is the learning environment.
Experiential Learning: the learner becomes intrinsically involved in the learning material.
Project-based Learning: students work in groups to solve authentic, interdisciplinary problems.
Self-directed Learning: individuals take on the responsibility for their own learning process by diagnosing their personal learning needs, setting goals, identifying resources, implementing strategies and evaluating the outcomes.
What I got from this article is - and as I have believed from the first day of my instructional practice - learners bring a multitude of independent factors to the learning arena, whether as children or adults. These factors impact the learning that takes place, and the outcomes achieved.
WOW. What a fantastic resource! Thank you!
ReplyDelete@Anon. Thank you. I'm glad you are enjoying it.
ReplyDelete