I want to become a sower of seeds in the minds of humans.
The purpose of this blog is to let me write down, and expound upon, my thoughts regarding adult learning as a whole, and also teaching EAL (English as an Alternative Language) to adult learners.
I have been in the field of teaching adult learners for a number of years. I advocate the 4MAT style of instructional design, and practice a holistic teaching style of instruction, based upon social constructivism. That sounds like a bunch of jargon, which it probably is. What it means is that, I believe in allowing learners to learn using their own needs, beliefs and value systems as a foundation for understanding their world. Recognising how these value systems impact adult learners helps us (teachers) to adjust our view of the 'right' and 'wrong' way to teach.
As a learner, I love informal, self-directed learning. How about you? How do you like to learn?
When I find a course that makes me go "hmmmmmmm...", I grab hold of it and just go for it. Technology facilitates this type of learning beautifully in today's world.
Have you ever been sitting around the lunchroom at work... somebody says something or starts a conversation on a topic that just makes you want to know more? Then you whip out your BlackBerry, log on to Ask.com or Wikipedia, and start researching for yourself. There's nothing more satisfying to me than finding that answer, and smugly putting away the tools of today's learning, knowing that I have become smarter in the last 30 seconds than I was when I came to work! LOL
"I believe in allowing learners to learn using their own needs, beliefs and value systems as a foundation for understanding their world"
ReplyDeleteLove this! I think learning is so individual for everyone and it seems as if you have really captured that.
I'm intrigued by the balance of directed and self-directed myself. I find that adults want some direction (so they don't fail if being evaluated) but equally love the freedom to learn in their own way at their own pace. Can't we do both in the classroom?
ReplyDelete@Anonymous
ReplyDeleteIndeed, in fact I believe that the classroom for adult learners should always include both. I believe that most adults will learn both intrinsically and extrinsically... meaning that they may participate in the formal learning in the classroom, and then continue this learning through conversation with their peers.
@Jenn. Thanks for the great feedback.
ReplyDelete