Think of an open field of grass...
A vast, expansive area of beautiful, lush greenery looming before you. You run through the grass, barefoot, experiencing the sensation of the blades of grass as they pass between your toes, gently tickling you in a soothing and satisfying way. The smell of the grass gently hangs in the air, and the soft dampness cools your feet as you run. Exhausted, you lay down in the field, staring up at the blue sky and cotton wool clouds above your head. Your mind forms shapes from the clouds, stirring memories and entertaining you all at the same time. The tufts of grass form a pillow, upon which you slowly fall asleep with a smile on your face and childish thoughts in your head.
Or...
You run through the grass, panicking and terrified. Your breathing becomes harder and harder as you realise you can't outrun the animal that is chasing you. You know what will happen if you are caught, and the thoughts become too gruesome to bear thinking. Adrenalin fuels your already-burning muscles, as your brain races to find a solution. Your eyes search for a safe haven - a cave, a tree, or perhaps a weapon to fight back. You hear the pounding of the animal's pads in the dirt, gaining ground and driving your fear to screaming point. Suddenly, you feel the blow of the animal's paws on your back... powerful, oppressive, sending you to the ground in searing pain as the claws rake the skin from your back. Your face lands in the dirt, and your lungs and mouth are filled with dry grass and dust. You role over and finally face your foe, feeling the ultimatum that is your fate. Suddenly there is no more pain, just a warm, glowing sensation that overwhelms every nerve in your body. You close your eyes as the memories of your life flash through your mind. Finally, peace comes to your body and you are no longer afraid. You rest, wrapped in everlasting silence.
We should never take away from someone the validity of their experience. But we need to learn to teach in such a way that our learner's can accept, if only academically, both stories as part of their understanding and knowledge arsenal. Applying Transformative Learning to our instructional process can help broaden the knowledge base of any learner. I have found Transformative Learning also increases the quality of a learner's perception of what is being instructed.
In language acquisition, we must, as teachers, take into account the perceptions of the students as they relate to various artifacts of their world. We need to gather as much knowledge of other cultures, perceptions, and values to help us to see the world the way our students do.
As learners, we need to understand that there is always more than one way to understand something, and that this does not mean that either view is false.
How's your view of the world today?
"How's your view of the world today? "
ReplyDeleteI saw some dog poo in the grass . . .
This evening, I am loving this world pretty much. The pristine blanket of snow sparkling in moonlight entices me and I dream of skiing -one of my favorite winter pasttimes... and your blog was - inspiring! Your words and perception of what is essential is like...gatorade in the middle of a marathon.Shot of adrenaline. What a great contribution.Thanks.
ReplyDelete-Chris
@Anon. Mind where you tread...
ReplyDelete@Chris. Thanks for the great comments.
ReplyDeleteIt's a lot like the Rice Krispie analogy in a previous post.
ReplyDeleteSomething is what it is.
Each learner responds to the stimulus in a unique individual fashion, his or her response likely based on a similar previous experience or collection of experiences. All responses are valid and you cannot control someone's response.
Maybe it has something to do with Brian Greene and his Elegant Universe. Perhaps all three of the grass fields listed above (serene, violent, and dog poo filled) exist. Maybe not in this universe, but perhaps each field exists in its own universe or dimension. Or maybe even on the holodeck of the USS Enterprise. "Computer: end program?"
First off, to whoever posted the poo comment, thanks. I had a good laugh. I'm really mature ;)
ReplyDeleteBut secondly, THANK YOU for this lovely post Bill. I really enjoyed reading this. And I do enjoy visuals in learning so the pictures you painted of both the grass fields really helped to drive the point home for me. I think looking at alternative viewpoints in education as well as just in life is so important. Thanks.
P.S. My view of the world is snowy and windy today.
@J... except my Rice Krispies this time are Corn Flakes. The something that is only exists in a vacuum. But, we don't all live in a vacuum... we live in a world full of meaning, regardless where that meaning comes from...
ReplyDelete@Jenn... Thanks for the positive comment. I find that life is full of alternatives, most of them are fun :)
ReplyDeleteI have a Dyson vacuum . . .
ReplyDeleteOK, now how the heck am I supposed to be all serious now and say how much I love the idea of Transformative Learning, when the conversation's been about poo in the grass?! Nonetheless, I forge ahead. :)
ReplyDeleteBut really, Transformative Learning, that inner shift in the human, is what the thrill of teaching is to me. It starts out as a personal shift in perception, but it inevitably becomes something much larger ... a ripple effect of transformation because by seeing the world differently we can act differently.
If we can engage people to think and feel and believe, whether it's in EAL classes or anywhere, then a new (and better) world is possible. Sounds hokey after the very practical discussion that requires the Dyson, but I've seen it in action. :)
- Margerit
Stepping in poo could lead to some Transformative Learning.
ReplyDeleteAnd I wouldn't recommend a vacuum to clean up the mess.
@M Thank you so much for your post! It is this changing of lenses that I move toward whenever I teach in my classroom. So often we look at life through the glass of a face-value lense, without realising that if we took the glasses off, there is a world of entirely different meanings waiting for us. Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland is probably the most depictive book I've ever read that expresses Transformative Learning at its purest.
ReplyDeleteAs for the poo... well... I leave that to the poo lovers of this world :)